Wednesday, January 13, 2010

"I don't even know how to sew on a button!"


When I tell people that I sew, one of the most common responses is, "I don't even know how to sew on a button!" There are a some practical life skills I think should be taught to everyone in school that get sadly overlooked by many... how to type, how to balance your checkbook, and how to sew on a button are just a few. Through the power of the internet, you can now learn this handy little life skill and will no longer need to call on mom or shell out money to a dry cleaner to get buttons replaced. Also, replacing boring buttons with buttons that are whimsical, colorful, or elegant can breathe new life into a garment and make it look couture and one-of-a-kind. They are like jewelry for you garment. And no one will ever guess you bought it at Target.

Here's one video that shows how to sew on a typical four-hole button. The video moves a bit fast, so pause it as needed. They have tried to make it a bit hip and fun by adding music and amusing titles.



And here's one that demonstrates sewing a shank button. It is a little slower moving, and very thorough and informative.



Happy button sewing!

(stay tuned for the results of my own missing button project!)

2 comments:

  1. i know how to do all three of those things. unfortunately, i lack the discipline to do the second one. :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can sew on a button! I would love to learn how to make basic things like a skirt or something though. I didn't really find a class in London, but maybe I'll take one in NYC.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Have a topic you'd like me to look into? Need help with a project? Ideas or thoughts you'd like to share? I'd love to hear from you!