Monday, October 19, 2009

Mad about Mad Men


I realize that I have been very absent from the blog lately, but my husband and I have been obsessively watching the hit AMC series Mad Men on DVD. We don't have cable, so we always catch our shows after they have hit the air, but we like it that way because we don't have to wait a week between episodes. We have made it through the first two seasons and are totally hooked. Even our three-year-old twin boys love the show!

Let's just pretend for a moment that the writing isn't spectacular, that the acting and direction aren't outstanding and that the art direction isn't impeccable... the costumes are absolutely to die for! I would watch it for that reason alone, but I am pleased that the show is a complete package!

The gorgeous and accurate costumes for this amazing period show are designed by Janie Bryant, the creative mind behind the equally impressive costumes of HBO's Deadwood. The second season Mad Men DVD contains an excellent mini-documentary about the fashions of the Sixties narrated by Bryant and is definitely worth checking out if you get the chance. The fashions of the Sixties, just like the Sixties themselves, were revolutionary and reflected the incredible historical changes that took place in this era.

A few of my favorite things about the costumes for this show:
1) the men, even the less attractive ones, look delicious in gray flannel suits and slicked down hair.
2) the show recognizes that curves are sexy!
3) characters wear the same outfits more than once, just like people do in real life.
4) the hairstyles

You know, this list could just go on all night, so I'll leave it at that!




1 comment:

  1. I am obsessed too. We are watching it on DVD and about to finish season 1. I love the costumes and how each episode sparks really interesting conversation post-viewing. Love it.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Have a topic you'd like me to look into? Need help with a project? Ideas or thoughts you'd like to share? I'd love to hear from you!