Wednesday, July 22, 2009

It's a nice day for a black wedding

(image via Red Hot Bride)
I love weddings and I love making wedding gowns! It is a sincere honor to participate in the celebration of love and commitment between two people. While no one loves a wedding gown in a shade of white more than I do, I think it is exciting when a bride explores other colors for the gown for her big day. There is an old poem that guided choices about bridal colors:

“Married in white, you will have chosen all right.
Married in grey, you will go far away.
Married in black, you will wish yourself back.
Married in red, you’ll wish yourself dead.
Married in blue, you will always be true.
Married in pearl, you’ll live in a whirl.
Married in green, ashamed to be seen,
Married in yellow, ashamed of the fellow.
Married in brown, you’ll live out of town.
Married in pink, your spirits will sink.
"

I think it is time to reevaluate these ideas and explore the world outside of white for wedding gowns even if for no other reason than that you could wear the dress again! After all, there is a good chance it's the most expensive piece of clothing you will ever buy. So, in the spirit of progress, here is a new pass at the old classic poem:

Married in white, your love will shine bright.
Married in grey, you'll feel loved every day.
Married in black, you'll never go back.
Married in red, only kind words will be said.
Married in blue, happiness for you two.
Married in pearl, you're one lucky girl!
Married in green, for you he'll always be keen.
Married in yellow, you'll have days exciting and mellow.
Married in brown, you'll never frown.
Married in pink, happy thoughts you will think.

Married in purple, orange, or fuschia... well, you don't get a rhyme, but you're so unconventional, I'm sure you don't need a rhyme anyway!

5 comments:

  1. Not sure why the comment didn't make it. Here's what it said...

    Married in purple, and you're married to urkle.
    Married in fuschia, have you've gotten your flu shot?
    Married in orange, (since there's nothing that even remotely comes close to ryhming with orange so i've gotten alien on that ass.) sznar casm flot splornze.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are too funny, Joel! Thanks for the rhymes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lindsey! My names Nichole and I work at Disney. Jon refered me to you because I'm getting married on October 16, 2010. I love the style of this dress! I don't want a traditional dress (I'm not a white and frills kinda girl) but something more along the lines of vintage. Our wedding colors are black, deep purple, orange and a touch of Nightmare Before Christmas to give you a better idea. :) I'd love to see what we could work our together so could you e-mail me at Nichole.E.Brown@Disney.com? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Three questions:
    1) Could you make one in plaid?
    2) How much would something like that cost?
    3) Where are you located?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lindsey, Me and my fiance have been together for two and a half years and we're getting married next fall, I know you'd need specifics to do anything, but I absolutely fell in love with the style of dress in the picture. I don't want a traditional wedding dress, because for one it's not me at all, and two I want a dress I'll feel comfortable in and beautiful in. I've been to a few dress places and tried them on, but none call out to me to buy them. Our colors are Deep Purple, Hunter Green, Silver, and Black. I'd love to know if you could email me and let me know if you could do something for me and how much it would cost I would greatly apprectiate it. Thank you. :)

    My e-mail is: Fallwithfalloutboy@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Have a topic you'd like me to look into? Need help with a project? Ideas or thoughts you'd like to share? I'd love to hear from you!